Maybe you don't need the sub-reciever Phil, but I have one and I use it a lot.

Here is what I do.  When I am working split, I tune the DX with the main
receiver then push the A>B button to get the same frequency into the
sub-receiver and press sub.  I adjust the volume on the sub and then when I
determine as much as I can about where he is listening from him, the jerks on
his frequency and the cluster I go  looking for a spot to call with the main
receiver.  I can listen to my transmit frequency to be sure there is not a QSO
on it while I listen to the DX and make my calls.  If the propagation is right
and I am lucky, sometimes I can find where the DX is working and get a little
advantage.

Sometimes when I am monitoring a dead band, like ten or six I sit one receiver
on the SSB calling frequency and one on the CW calling frequency.

The sub-receiver must not be essential because a lot of us were using K3s
before it was available.  But I sure like to have the sub-receiver and use it a
lot.

Ancient Age is no excuse.  I am 69 years young and been licensed since 1956.
My first rig was a BC-455 Command Receiver and a home brew 6AG7/6BQ6
transmitter that ran 35 watts input and maybe 20 watts output as guessed with a
40 watt light bulb about half brilliance.
 Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ