I have found it very interesting reading the various reports of firmware
upgrade issues when installing new firmware releases to the K3.  I am
wondering if it has something to do with the interconnect between the
computer and the K3; and especially if one is using a USB/RS232 converter.

I purchased my K3 at Dayton this year and have done every Beta upgrade and
all went flawlessly.  That said, I am using a RS-232 port on my computer
(Com 1) to connect directly to the radio.  My experience with the USB to
RS232 converters has not been all that great; and from what I have picked up
from "third class rumors" (similar to ones you might overhear in a men's
restroom),  not all USB/RS232 converters are created equally (some work all
the time, some work some of the time, and other never work any of the time).
And one other "tidbit" of information that I read in the US Interface
Navigator Installation Manual was to avoid using COM 3;  the manual says;
for some reason (known only to the computer gods and maybe Bill Gates) COM 3
can be grabbed by other programs"

So, to solve that problem, when I upgraded my computer to Windows 7 last
week, I also "upgraded" to seven RS232 ports on the back of the computer.  I
only need six (K3, two rotor controllers, satellite antenna control, IC-910H
control, and last but not least a DSP-2232 data controller), so that gives
me a spare for possible future use.

Dick K8ZTT

database 4636 (20091125) __________

http://www.eset.com