One excellent long-term solution was proposed by James, K2QI.  I have since
ordered my own set of nested aluminum knobs for the RF/AF controls and they
are far better in fit, finish, and usability than Elecraft's stock knob set.
But, they are also relatively expensive.

The knobs are machined from solid aluminum, anodized in black, and both the
inner and outer knobs extend slightly further out to keep the fingers from
accidentally touching the opposite knob.  I've copied James' prior post
below that includes the Mouser part number:

K2QI:

"I received my machined concentric knobs today from Mouser, and as
I would write back to the group with my findings.  First of all, the
knobs are incredibly well made and appear to be anodized black. There is a
 fat, white, indicator stripe on the barrel. There are also two set screws.
The knobs fit PERFECTLY on the K3 with absolutely no shimming or
modification required.  Just take off the old plastic knobs and replace with
these.

The knobs themselves are expensive - somewhere in the neighborhood of 13
or 14 dollars per pair, but in my opinion well worth the investment.  The
outer diameter and length of the knobs themselves are also a tad larger than
the OEM plastic pieces, making adjustments easier for fat-fingered types.

Anyway, this is the [Mouser] part number again for anyone interested:
506-KN5700B1/4

73 de James K2QI"