Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

> What the KREF3-EXT module should be able to deliver is complete freedom
> from frequency drift, for almost all practical purposes. There could
> also be great communication value in being able to lock a pair of K3s to
> the same global GPS standard, even when they are half a world apart

And as long as the world is not moving relative to itself the TX and RX
could be dead on frequency for low bandwidth modes. Usually things are
moving. We could measure the Doppler on the HF signals due to the movement
of the ionosphere and do many other things...

The KX144 can not be locked to the reference, it uses a different LO. If it
were based on the reference oscillator we would not be hearing of crystal
supply problems.

It ought to be possible to lock the supplied TCXO - or a replacement to GPS
using the 1PPS or 10kHz signals from a GPS receiver. That might be more
useful to most amateurs than a 10MHz reference input.

As an interim solution - I wonder if Wayne could produce a routine to
automatically correct the K3 based on a user settable reference frequency?
It could be WWV or a GPS locked beacon, a shack based 10MHz source. If that
is done after the K3 has warmed up it should stay within a Hz or so for
hours.

Currently I do this manually for the transverter bands - where it matters
for me. I tune to my 70MHz beacon in CW mode and trim the XV offset to zero
beat with the CW tone. It requires iteration to do this. Measuring an offset
in frequency is the sort of thing the DSP could do much better and quicker
than I can.