Metric hardware in the US is slooowly becoming available, but it will
take at least another two generations IMHO.
The automotive industry is now almost fully converted to metric parts,
but small machine screws are lagging way behind.
In the meantime, we here in the US have to keep two sets of tools, and
yes for international trade, must send along a tool for things like knob
setscrews.
There have been several efforts to switch to metric over my lifetime,
but the machine tool industry has always resisted because  re-tooling is
expensive.
I believe our math education system is partly to blame too.  Children
are taught fractions earlier than decimals, and by the time they get to
decimal math the inch/foot/yard units of measure have already been used
extensively as a tool for teaching fractions, so thinking gets stuck in
fractional units and there is no mental concept of meters/cm/mm.  I am
watching my grandchildren struggle with the concept of measurements in
an easy decimal based system, but they know fractional measurement.

But I digress...

73,
Don W3FPR