Wes Stewart wrote:
> I worked and have since been listening to J79WE on 40m CW for some time.  The
> wind is
> blowing about 40 mph so the power lines are acting up and I've been tweaking
> the noise
> blanker.
>
> While playing around I noted that his signal had developed some chirp.  I
> thought that
> strange, since he was clean when I worked him.  I fired up old reliable, my
> TS870 and
> listened to him and he was T9 with no chirp (and no audio distortion).  On
> the K3 he
> definitely had chirp, then I happened to turn off the noise blanker and the
> chirp went
> away.
>
> The Noise blanker setting were IF=MED4 and DSP=T3-7.  The chirp seems to be
> related to
> the DSP part of it.
>
> Anyone else notice this?

Are you sure it was chirp -- a change in frequency when keying? Or was it a
softening of
the leading edge of the keyed elements?

The latter is characteristic of the DSP noise blanker when it's at an advanced
setting,
like T3-7. Some distortion is part of the tradeoff for noise blanking.

I used to say "you know, it sounds like a guy with a slow-starting crystal
oscillator"
until I realized that you very rarely hear any crystal-controlled rigs these
days.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco