>>>Thoughts: I realize that all s-meters read differently and the fact that
the MP s-meter shows a 4 s-unit stronger signal above the noise level
doesn't
mean alot.

Correct, 4 S-units on an MP meter at that level is probably more like 2 real
S-units (10-12 dB).  See below:

http://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft@mailman.qth.net/msg63910.html

>>>But the fact is that the signal on the MP sounds MUCH louder
with alot more headroom above the noise level.  The K-3 receiver sounds so
noisy even with the S-7 signal that it isn't enjoyable listening to and
that's
why I ran the comparisons because I couldn't stand all the noise.  Switching
on the K-3's NR, ATT, and/or adjusting the RF Gain does help some but the
signal still sounds noisy compared to the MP.

CONFIG: AGC THR may be set too high.  Try a lower setting.

Also, for a given band/antenna combination, set ATT ON>ATT OFF>PRE ON in
that order and stop when connecting the antenna gives you band noise (i.e.
don't use any more gain than necessary).  This ensures you are not wasting
dynamic range by setting the noise floor correctly.  After doing this, I set
my AF GAIN knob to about 9-10 o'clock (for headphones) and adjust RF GAIN
back for a comfortable volume.  If you run RF GAIN wide open the receiver
will sound noisy and you are limiting your dynamic range.

73,  Bill