Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:44:26 EST
From: r...@aol.com
Subject: [Elecraft] Noisy K-3 Receiver
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net

Hi Guys,

I'd appreciate your thoughts as to why my K-3 receiver is so noisy.  I'd
really like to make this radio perform.  The radio is Serial #603F (factory
model) running 1.2.10.27.  I purchased the unit from the original owner a
couple of months ago so I don't know if it's always been this noisy but I do
know it was the same before I  recently updated software to 1.2.10.27.   The
radio is in immaculate condition and was never used mobile or bounced around.
(it's a beautiful radio that looks like new!)

I say the receiver is noisy based upon listening to dozens of different
signals on: 40/20/15 m. and by doing numerous A/B comparison tests.  The
comparison tests were done with the K-3 Pre-Amp turned Off.  (and tried with
ATT
on and off but mostly on to reduce noise).

Radio 1: Yaesu FT-1000-MP w/AF Mod.  A signal is peaking S-8 and with the
no signal noise level is averaging S-1.  Therefore, the signal is peaking
aprx. 7 s-units above the noise based upon the MP s-meter and the signal sounds
loud and is way above the noise level.  Now I switch to the K-3:

Radio 2: K-3 tuned to the same signal with PreAmp Off and is peaking S-7
but the no signal noise level is noisy S-4 to S-5.  Therefore, the signal is
peaking only about 2 or 3 s-units above the noise level based upon the K-3
s-meter.  The result is that the MP has aprx. a 4 s-unit  S/N ratio advantage.

Thoughts: I realize that all s-meters read differently and the fact that
the MP s-meter shows a 4 s-unit stronger signal above the noise level  doesn't
mean alot.  But the fact is that the signal on the MP sounds MUCH louder
with alot more headroom above the noise level.  The K-3 receiver sounds so
noisy even with the S-7 signal that it isn't enjoyable listening to and that's
why I ran the comparisons because I couldn't stand all the noise.  Switching
on the K-3's NR, ATT, and/or adjusting the RF Gain does help some but the
signal still sounds noisy compared to the MP.

Based upon "Reviews" of the K-3 I believe that I must have an unusual "K-3
noisy receiver" problem.

I'd sure appreciate your ideas on how I can get a better S/N ratio on my
K-3.

Thanks!

73,
Dick- K9OM