Nice summary Bill.  Will you please share the AGC setting that you most
typically use?
Thanks,
Dan - W4TQ

Hello all!
I have read the many comments upon the noisy K3 receiver with interest.  I,
too, have always thought the K3 somewhat noisy, but that is in comparison to
the other receivers I have.  The best sound from a modern receiver to me has
been from the Ten Tec OMNI VII.  When I place the RF gain on that radio to
about 25-35%, the noise is gone and the signals are still there, for a true
treat of listening without fatigue.  When I first got the K3, I was
disappointed with the fatiguing hiss or artifacts (definitely higher
frequencies) which I experienced.  Over the two years of having the K3,
though, I have seen gradual improvements while I have learned to adjust the
AGC parameters.

I added all the mods which had to do with audio, and each one brought a
little improvement. Now, somedays I am amazed at how quiet the K3 seems to
be, with the signals just popping out of the noise, while other days I still
wonder what I need to adjust.  I also realize that my hearing, which has a
peak at approx. 4000-5000 Hz, is somewhat sensitive to higher pitched noise.

I do understand that those who find it tiring to listen to the K3 are
honestly reporting their experience. Isn't it wonderful that we now have a
radio which allows us to become aware of:
1)  A spectrum analysis of our hearing loss/gain so we can make adjustments
to compensate for damage, age, etc.;
2) Our opportunity to learn the differences in atmospheric and operating
conditions, and the specific AGC requirements for each;
3) The wide range of variability among Amateur operators as to their desires
and interests
4)  A higher level of technological achievement which opens up the
possibility of such discussions as these because of the K3's clarity and
reproducibility of signals, which in turn allows us to hear what has never
been heard before.

The K3 is another step in the advancement of Ham Radio technology.  It is
not the pinnacle (or will not be there forever, anyway) of achievement, but
it is among the best we know today.  Tomorrow will be a different story.
Meanwhile, let us communicate with what we have, while urging Aptos on to
even higher goals.

Bill
W4ISH