David,

  Forty hours spread over two weeks to build the basic K2 and two small
option boards would be a fair estimate.

   It was more fun to build than I expected.  The instruction manual is
fantastic, (nearly) all the parts fit perfectly, and the entire project is just
quite clever.  Build a section, test a section, laugh out loud when it works
perfectly. Repeat.

Then afterwards, when he meets a K3 owner he can tell them about the
good old days:

... Spoiled whipper-snappers ...
... Uphill, both ways ...
... In the snow ...