You say the rear panel settings work - put those same settings on the FP
mic menu and try it.
If a condenser mic element works on the FP, then you must have Bias set
on - turn it off for the HC-4 and set the range to H.
You must have the Kenwood adapter to use the front panel connector.
IIRC, the color band for the Kenwood adapter is red.

73,
Don W3FPR