Dave,

It all depends.  The recommendations for adjusting the RF Gain control
to "just barely hear band noise" is aimed at those who are listening to
the K3 audio with headphones (or a speaker).  Since signals that are
below the band noise level cannot usually be copied, there is no sense
in listening to the band noise, so backing off the RF gain is a prudent
thing to do given these assumptions.  That applies to signals that are
normally heard with the ear/brain combination.

Digital modes can sometimes decode signals that are below the band noise
level (and there is no need to listen to the trash on the band with
one's ears).  If one is receiving a digital signal that has this
capability, one would want to set the RF Gain control to a point where
some band noise is evident - how much you might ask, and the answer is -
how many dB below the ambient noise will result in good copy of the
digital signal?.  That answer will vary from digital mode to digital mode.

73,
Don W3FPR