> I'd guess that one reason LPF was implemented in hardware
> rather than firmware is to filter out noise that was
> generated either at the DAC or post-DAC.

The LPF eliminates leakage of the DAC clock and audio IMD
products of the clock with the recovered audio.  Those
products are not within the control of the DSP code, they
are hardware issues.

The DAC clock/IMD is only an issue in the K3 because the
receiver is so quiet above 4.5 to 5 KHz.  Where other rigs
have audio response (noise floor) that is roughly 50 - 60
dB below the peak audio output, the K3's out of band audio
is down more than 90 dB (!) at 5 KHz except for the DAC
artifacts.  Even though the artifacts are more than 60 dB
below peak audio, they are more than 30 dB higher than the
receiver noise floor (at the same frequency) and are easily
audible for those with normal hearing and good speakers or
headphones.

I've ordered a pair of the LPF boards and will make comparisons
between S/N 622 with none of the audio modifications and S/N
1450 with all of the modifications except the LF audio
enhancement once I've installed the LFP in 1450 (and before I
do the updates to s/n 622).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV