From: Steve Ireland <vk...@arach.net.au>
Subject: [Elecraft] Elecraft K3 versus Yaesu FT-1000D
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Date: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 5:39 AM

G'day

It has been interested in reading the thread about a (or some) 'big gun'
contesters still preferring the classic FT-1000D over the Elecraft K3.

I used to have two FT-1000Ds (sold an FT-1000MP to buy the first one - the
FT-1000D's audio peaking filter and nicer receive audio gave it the edge).
I sold the first FT-1000D to buy a K3 and then sat the two alongside each
other in a series of contests.  I have two keen contesters nearby - one
about 1km away and the other 10km away (which is a really nasty distance on
the low-bands).

The FT-1000D's blocking dynamic range (BDR) could barely cope, but with the
K3's BDR  and the 500Hz roofing filter I could not tell if the other blokes
were on the same band unless they came within under one kilohertz of me on
CW. On the FT-1000D, I could hear them 3 or 4 KHz away and it was impossible
to operate much closer to them than 2 to 3 KHz on CW, making me miss
stations regularly.

Within six months I had sold the other FT-1000D and have never regretted it.

The FT-1000D may look and feel a million dollars in comparison to the K3
(and is a great radio), but I know which one gets the job done better at my
QTH in a contesting situation.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ