I have never really understood the connection between RF gain and squelch
controls.  I first saw this when I got my first modern rig, the Icom 756 Pro
III.  And, I see this kind of combo with the K3 too.  I never had experience
with this back in my early ham operator days (~1960s).

So, can someone explain the behavior.  Let's assume that I have squelch
operative for FM only.

On CW or SSB I see that RF gain maximized is the control knob turned all the
way clockwise.  But, as I back off the RF gain (counterclockwise) there comes a
point where the S-meter starts to increase even though there is no apparent
signal.  Turning the RF gain fully counter clockwise pins the S-meter.

So, what is going on here.  What is this connection between turning "down" RF
gain and the S-meter increasing.  Now, I have the same behavior (roughly) on my
Icom Pro III and I never understood that either.

Thanks for any explanation you can contribute.

73, phil, K7PEH
K3 owner for one full week now.