Hi Bill,

One reason for the 1.8 kHz roofing filter is the male voice.  If you
set Fc to around 1 kHz and reduce the BW to 1.8 kHz, you get just
enough voice components in speech to leave it intelligible, but will
also eliminate almost every trace of signals to the sides.  This is
excellent for crowded bands and big adjacent signals.  I've never used
anything like it before on any other radio.  It's like Elecraft
decided on 1.8 kHz just for contesters, or for a better sunspot count
than we have today.

One example from an afternoon a few weekends ago....  I was calling CQ
on 20m on SSB and there was a guy off to the side by a couple kHz.
When I tuned him in I found his sig was running S9+25 or so.  Big
signal and lotsa of overdriven audio, but he wasn't splattering. Well,
I liked the freq I was on and just set the 1.8 BW mentioned above and
continued CQing.  I got a call a few minutes after starting and and
QSO ensued.  After less than ten minutes, the loudmouth came on our
freq and asked us to move.  And I'd actually forgotten that he was
next door.  I politely explained that his QSO wasn't bothering us, and
that should be proof enough that there was no problem with QRM.
However, we did move down another 2.5 kHz anyway just for etiquette
and to get a little laugh out of it.  Both our stations were using
K3's barefoot at 50W or so, and we compared notes on the loudmouth for
a little while, then went our separate ways.

It's like the rest of the band just went *poof*, and you have your own
island for QSOing.  Be cautious though, because not everyone has this
advantage and you may actually interfere with a station you can't hear
at all any more.  Situational awareness is still part of our
responsiblities...  Some of the loudmouths think that their $10k
big-name radios entitle them to some special privileges, which I
believe we can either A) safely ignore or B) have a secret chuckle
over.

73,
matt W6NIA
K3 #24