Thank you Don, and Tom, for your replies.

Don Wilhelm wrote:
> It is normal to see a higher response touching a random, wire to C6
> compared to touching the same wire to W6.  The C6 location is a high
> impedance point while the W6 and D6 locations are low impedance - the
> capacitive dividers (C7,8 and C4,5) reduce the impedance.

That makes sense. I knew something was odd when the signal levels at the
test points before and after C6 gave the same but lower audible signal.

> If you are getting about the same response at D6 and W6, then the
> bandpass filter is probably OK.

It would be nice to get my problems resolved in time for the local
provincial QSO party which takes place around the third weekend in
April. I think the only way to be sure whether the receiver of my K2 is
up to snuff or not is to order an XG2 signal generator kit. That will
help me to get a more accurate idea on the receivers sensitivity when
running with and without the KAT2 (in case the KAT2 has been
contributing in any way to apparent sensitivity problems).

If the cheap and dirty tracing doesn't seem to turn up any issues I'll
have to start getting in there with the scope and check the voltage
measurements at various points noted in the manual.