Thanks for your responses. I believe I should be okay to turn it on. Please
keep in mind that I am not using the best meter (a Radio Shack unit) and it
takes a while for the reading to settle down (whether I took the reading in
an auto-range or a setting of the specific ranges needed).

Typically, the Fluke meters I've used in my process control work are much
quicker to settle down (but it's probably because the measuring circuits
used are better than what you can expect from Radio Shack for the money I
paid).

I've not built electronic circuits before and I am obviously concerned that
I don't want to inadvertantly set fire to $3K of fine equipment or hurt
myself.

Next "obvious question" for you:

I got an Astron power supply (RS35M) and it is rated for 13.8V about 35amps
if memory serves.

a) Based on the Owner's Manual page 8, it states that I need about 6A
@13.8VDC for the 10W unit (you don't put in the 100W option until later in
the build).

Do you adjust (in some fashion) the amount of current output needed from the
power supply? (I've not gotten the Astron power supply yet- it is hopefully
arriving today). I'd think that the answer to my question is "no" as the
radio "knows" how much current it needs but once again-it's better to ask.

Safety

I am working at a grounded outlet (120VAC). Is there anything else I need
regarding bonding/grounding for either the radio itself, me, or the power
supply?

I realize that these are very elementary questions, but better to be safe
than sorry.

73

Steve
KC2VNI