From: Phil Hystad <k7...@comcast.net>
To: Elecraft Discussion List <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 12:04:06 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] K3: Audio Quality of SSB (RX, not TX) ?

I have been using up e-mail bits and bytes "selling" the K3 to a friend of mine
(Greg, KM6SG).  He hasn't done much CW since he passed his Advanced license
test and is mostly a SSB type of guy.  Me, I am mostly CW.

So, he asks me this question about the K3, "Can the K3 DSP repair or fixup the
audio quality of a weak SSB signal".

Now, I am thinking that something like the K3's diversity reception features
might be useful but I know that he does not have the room for other antennas.
So, is there some aspect of the K3 that might set it apart from other rigs
(Yaesu, Icom, etc.) regarding reception of SSB.

If there were features of the K3 (other than diversity reception) that set it
apart and above other rigs regarding the clarity and quality of received SSB
then maybe my friend will be convinced and buy a rig.  Or, maybe my haranguing
him to get back into CW will work too.  Also, he lives in Scottsdale, AZ so
maybe if there is a K3 user nearby he would be able to go and listen in person.

73, phil, K7PEH