Lance,

Both the AF Gain setting and the AGC on/off condition will modify the
S-meter response.  As a result, comparing S-meter readings with AGC on
vs. off is not a valid comparison.  All I can say is that "yes" the
S-meter reading will change.
Some combination of that behavior is present on each receiver I have
ever owned or operated.  Each one is different.  How the S-meter changes
with each condition depends on where the particular receiver picks off
the S-meter signal.

73,
Don W3FPR