Hi Dave,

Using slope 000 is likely most of your problem.  With that setting all
signals regardless of strength are set to the same level regardless of
how loud they are coming in.  If they are zero beat or close, it will
mush the dickens out of the copy by making them all the same level in
your ear. I set AGC SLP to 15 for contests.  I also use slow AGC the
entire time. If there are key clicks, I use NB with IF off and dsp to
t3-7 or t2-7.  It rounds off CW bauds some but does not make them
uncopyable.

Make sure your ATT/PRE/RFGAIN use conforms to something like:

160m ATT plus RF gain at 2 oclock
80m  ATT plus RF gain at 3 oclock
40m  ATT plus RF gain fully clockwise.
20m       "    "
15m  off plus RF gain fully clockwise.
10m  PRE plus RF gain fully clockwise.
6m        "    "

 ...if you are listening on your transmit antenna. At least to start.
Make sure the ambient noise on the band is moderately low audio
listening on a clear frequency.

Using the NB with those settings, including the ATT/PRE/RFGAIN
settings. Just today I was listening to an S4 Cuban underneath what
were S9/5 key clicks with the NB off. Offending station up 500 Hz at
30 over 9 (really), and was using 250 filter running at WIDTH 350.

Good luck in Sprint this weekend!

73, Guy.