The solder blob method takes a little trick, you have to sit on the
end of the wire long enough for the insulation to melt (heat has to
transfer to the wire). I usually just scrape with a xacto these days
and then tin, I think it is cleaner and easier than solder blob. When
I built my K2 I used a lighter to burn the insulation and sandpaper to
clean it up. It is just as effective.
Matt
W8ESE