I learned a little new thing about Toyota marketing just this week.  Toyota of
course has been
in the news lately with the massive recalls.  It was reported that the Toyota
Prius Hybrid
is subsidized by about $2500 to $3000 by Toyota.  That is, the Prius whole sale
price to
the dealers is a few thousand dollars less then it costs to build.  Every Prius
car sold is a money
loser for Toyota!

Toyota is happy with this though (they said so) because it is their front-line
product.
It is the product that gives them name recognition, the product that brings them
Kudos for high-tech achievements, and the product that brings customers through
their doors.

Thus, a company does not need to make money on a given product to justify its
production and sale -- there are other reasons to build products.

A smart company will choose the profit margin for each product individually.
It is
rare for all products to be treated the same.  Some will bring in a margin of
40%,
others only 5%, and then maybe others, by plan, minus 10%.

The Elecraft K3 may have a 30 % margin and maybe the K2, being in production
for so long is now about 50 % margin.  But, a new solid-state amp may only be
5% or 7% -- enough to make their customers happy without losing money but not
earning money like a K3 or a K2 either.

phil, K7PEH