Greetings all,

This is my first submission to the Elecraft reflector.  I intend to place an
order for my K3 today, but I need some help making the final decisions of
which options I should purchase at this time.  First, let me describe my
antenna setup so the experts here can hopefully offer more specific advice.

I am presently using a 40-10m wire dipole (DX Engineering) elevated to about
32 feet, with an apex angle a little over 90 degrees (maybe 95).  The
ICOM-729 w/ 100W that I have been using the past month has gotten the signal
out as far as Seattle (S9) and New York (S9) from my QTH in SoCal.  I have
heard from all over the country, parts of Canada, Alaska, and can get faint
signals from Central/South America and the Caribbean.  Also hear from Japan
occasionally. So I expect this antenna to get even better when the sunspots
start making a comeback in a few years.  In the future (5-10 years) I will
probably move to a QTH that allows a nice 100' tower, but until then, I have
to make do with my dipole.

I just passed my Extra license test and these are my goals for the next
couple of years:

- Work as many locations I can (SSB/CW/PSK31)
- Learn CW and become proficient at 20-30 WPM (will be purchasing a K8RA
P-4)
- Full computer integration and rig control with a MicroHAM MicroKeyer II
- Participate in contests (once I understand how that works)
- Work towards some awards (WAS for starters)
- Work DX (someday, when I can put up a tower or as band conditions allow
with my dipole)

Now that you know a bit about my setup and what I want to accomplish, here
are the options I am considering:

- K3/100 kit
- KAT3 100W internal tuner (no plans to buy a bigger amplifier for awhile;
want to be proficient with 100W first)
- KDVR3 (Not sure if this overlaps with features offered by the MKII) -- How
useful do people find this?
- KFL3A-400 400Hz 8-pole filter for CW (I'm anticipating I'll want this for
contests/noisy conditions)
- KFL3A-2.1K 2.1 KHz 8-pole filter for SSB (I'm anticipating I'll want this
for working faint signals during noisy conditions)
- KFL3A-2.8K 2.8 kHz 8-pole filter for the majority of operating

I'm going with 8-pole filters to make it easier to add the sub-receiver
someday should I want that.  My main question is whether these are the right
filters for my needs.  Would I be better off with 1.8 kHz instead of 2.1
kHz?  I know it's subjective, but I'm just trying to be practical and not
waste money.

Now, I also need recommendations on a boom-mic/headset.  I see a lot of
people here use the Yamaha CM500.  Is this totally plug and play or do you
have to make any mods to get it working with the K3?

Thanks for the forthcoming recommendations and opinions!

-Jeff, W6EZY