Emilse,

WARNING - a lot of what follows is my personal opinion, but indicates my
satisfaction with Elecraft products in general.

I cannot decide for you, but if you are looking for a top performing
receiver that has the promise that it can be upgraded easily without
selling your current rig and buying the latest model, then the K3 is for
you.  Elecraft always has offered mod kits at reasonable prices to bring
your K1/K2/KX1/K3 up to the latest level - I don't believe that is
possible with any other radio on the market.  Most manufacturers simply
offer a "new" product with the upgrades included.  My K2 is over 10
years old and is up to date with the currently shipped models, and I
expect the same of my K3 10 years from now.

I don't know your budget for your next radio purchase, but the K3 can be
purchased in the 'stripped down' model, and updated with options as your
budget and operating needs dictate.  My K3 is the stock K3/100 (except
for the FM filter), and it serves my purposes well.  If I were to
suddenly want to seriously chase DX or get involved in contesting, I
would add the KRX3 and additional filters, and maybe some extras like
the KDVR3.  To me, the K3 is expandable to fit my operating needs and
requirements - for right now, I need nothing more than the basics, and
Elecraft gives me the opportunity to pick and choose which of those
options I want to have - I don't have to deplete my ham budget with
functionality that I know I will not use enough to appreciate the value.

What I am trying to say is that the K3 is a top performing transceiver
(look at the ARRL and Sherwood ratings) in any combination of the
options, so if you are seeking a top performing radio, then the K3 is
worthy of serious consideration.  It is one of the lower cost radios
because of the options offered - see the 2010 ARRL Handbook chapter 14
where the K3 falls into 3 of the categories, Mid-range, Upper Mid-Range,
and Top-Drawer simply because of the options that are available.  The
receiver performance for all 3 categories is the same, and you can
"grow" your K3 from the Mid-Range to Top-Drawer just by adding options.
With the addition of the K144XV, it becomes a 160 thru 2 meter
transceiver in any of those 3 categories.

On the downside, some have commented that there are not enough buttons
and knobs (some would like a bigger front panel) - I don't know your
desires in this area, so I cannot comment other than to say the K3 has
had high acceptance with DXers and contesters, and they do not have a
major problem with the econometrics.  The K3 is highly configurable for
extreme operating conditions through its menu system, but some consider
that a downside because of the many menu controlled variations
possible.  My answer to that is that the default settings are there for
normal use, and the deviations from those defaults are available for
more extreme situations - the K3 can be configured to your particular
needs, but you may have to do some studying of the menu system to take
advantage of this flexibility - as I said, the default settings will
suffice for those who do not want to go to the trouble of 'messing with
the menu', but it surprises me that so many want their radio to work to
perfection in extreme situations "right out of the box" with no effort
on the part of the operator.

I hope I have not discouraged you (or any other perspective K3 owner),
but those are the facts as I see them.  The K3 is a highly configurable,
high performance radio that has a long life expectancy.  It will work
well "right out of the box", but has the flexibility to be configured to
your needs and desires.  If your budget for a new radio is between $1450
(K3/10) and $4700 (fully loaded), then choose the options that you want
for your transceiver and order your K3, you will not be disappointed.

73,
Don W3FPR