The K3 is "data ready".  What that means is that you can simply connect
two stereo cables with 3.5mm plugs between the K3 and your computer
soundcard.  Add to that an RS-232 cable to handle the PTT function and
you can operate all of the data modes.  The K3 has a DATA mode in
addition to SSB that turns compression off for best IMD.  There are 4
sub-modes for DATA mode - 1) DATA A for most soundcard data modes - 2)
AFSK A for soundcard generated RTTY (RTTY works in DATA A too, but AFSK
A adds some features. -3) PSK D (for PSK Direct) which allows you to
enter text from the paddles and it will be converted to PSK31 signals in
the K3 with decode of the received signal in the VFO B display.  That is
handy when you want to operate PSK without a computer.  Finally -4) FSK
D which can be used just like PSK D with input from the paddles and text
display on the VFO B LCD area, but can also be used with true FSK with
the input on the ACC connector.

The bottom line, you can easily use the K3 on data modes, and the
interface is built-in, no need for an external data mode interface box.
There are transformer isolated LINE IN and LINE OUT connectors on the
back of the K3 just or this purpose (and more too).

73,
Don W3FPR