Note on diversity reception.Way back in early 70ies while using two Drake R4C
receivers for contesting, I discovered interesting effect. When using two
receivers, L & R, going to two ears L & R, using different antennas - Beverages
and Inv Vee, I would come across situations when I can hear weak station using
both ears/RXs, but when switching to individual one, signal would not be there.
It looked to me like some kind of noise canceling, perhaps in combination with
brain processing.Diversity can be with polarization, angles, directions. Having
tracking receivers makes it sooo cool.Recently while operating as TF4X in CQ
160 CW while using K3 and array of Beverages, Rhombics and Arctic King
(TF4M.com) this again came very handy in digging out the weak ones. Noise floor
there was just at about 0 and it was some experience to hear the world, being
on the top of the world.K3 is unique in using two RX diversity reception,
especially for serious contesting, and when limited with 13
 lbs weight limit in carry on luggage - jus' one honey of the radio.Packaging,
modularity, circuit design and performance is leaving just about all of my "big
boxes" in the dust. Congrats and thanks Elecraft!Yuri, K3BU.us----- Original
Message -----From: Monty Shultes Date: Friday, February 19, 2010 11:25
amSubject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 and the subreceiverTo: K4DSW ,
"elecraft@mailman.qth.net" > Depends on what kind of operating you do.  For
some things a > second receiver > is highly useful, for others, not at all
useful.> > To get the maximum benefit you need a second antenna for each >
band.  Then > diversity reception is possible, mitigating QSB and enhancing >
weak signals.> > If you like to monitor frequencies you are not transmitting
on, > especially > on another band, the second receiver is excellent.  You can
do > some of this > with VFO B, but is limited - see the manual.> > I have the
second receiver but do not use it often.  I'm > pursuing digital > modes right
now,
 not rare DX or weak signals.> > You can always add the second receiver later.>
> Monty  K2DLJ> > > Hello all, I'm considering a K3 and I'm wondering what the
> benefit of > > paying> > the extra money for the subreceiver is.  Can any of
you elmers > enlighten > > me> > on why one should put down the extra cash?> >