Peter,
You do NOT need a voltage booster with the K3.

If you allow a 12V lead-acid battery to drop to 10.5 you have just
over-discharged it and have already caused it at least minor damage.
Using a voltage booster to squeeze out a few more amp-hours will yield
only a few more minutes of operation, and a disappointment next time
you use the battery and find out its capacity is much reduced
(permanently).

The boosters are sold for other rigs that require around 13.8V
(standard for a vehicle battery while engine is running). The K3 has a
wonderfully wide voltage acceptance so it doesn't need that gadget
(which also wastes a portion of the power that it converts).

In the solar and portable power field, battery system controllers are
routinely set to shut loads off at 10.5 (or as high as 11.5) volts to
prevent battery damage. Electraft built that in for us! K3 ideal for
battery operation with NO accessories. Just make sure your power
cables are of sufficient size to minimize voltage drop.

Incidentally -- Best longevity of a lead-acid battery is achieved if
you normally discharge it no more than half-way. Voltage can only give
you a clue to the state-of-charge, but not going below 11.75 volts is
a reasonable guideline. This applies to deep-cycle batteries.
Automotive engine battery should not be discharged that much because
it will damage the battery, and you may not be able to restart the
vehicle.

Smile!
Windy