> However, according to Ameritron and Tom, W8JI (designer of
> the AL-80B), 1000 watts PEP on SSB is the upper limit as is
> 800 watts on CW.

I don't normally disagree with Tom, W8JI.  However, Eimac's
data sheets on the 3-500Z - both the 1968 version and the
current (1980) version - rate the PEP Output Power of a single
tube in AB2 at 750 Watts.  The 1980 version includes a set of
at 3500V on the plate that pushes the output to 900 Watts
PEP - NOT 1KW.

> The key to minimizing non-linearity is to
> tune with drive set to produce the maximum PEP that will be
> produced by the transmitted envelope and then slightly
> "over-tune" (less capacitance) the load control.

And that's not something that one can do when trying to drive
the AL-80B/K3 combination to 400 W carrier/1600W PEP output.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV