Chuck,

I operate a K3/100 from a 2nd story shack and have significant RF ground
problems. I do have a good powerline ground, but that is irrelevant. My
antenna is a 100 ft sloper, centerfed with over 100 ft of 450 ohm window
line (perpendicular to the antenna for 75 ft). It will "load up" on all
bands 160M through 6M, with varying degrees of effectiveness. I cannot run
my amplifier (Alpha 78) at more than 200-300 watts on most bands without
significant RF problems, including tripping GFIs. I intend to try to
alleviate the problems with a tuned ground, using a series-tuned resonant
circuit in a counterpoise system hanging out the window, an arrangement
similar to the MFJ 931. (If you look inside one of those, you will see that
it is very cheaply made. You can do much better with your own coil,
capacitor, and RF ammeter.) By the way, I can operate the K3/100 barefoot
without apparent adverse effects due to the bad RF grounding.

Another issue only distantly related to grounding is that the K3, like the
K2, is extremely susceptible to ESD strikes. That is a huge problem for me
in the dry, high desert of Nevada. You cannot touch anything here without
drawing a significant spark, any time of year. I quickly caused expensive
major damage (destruction of firmware, etc) to my K2/100 by touching it,
even though it was carefully grounded to power system ground. The K3 is
upset by such strikes also. I try to avoid damage by using an operating
table with conductive paint (Walmart) and a good (DC) ground system, so that
I can continuously discharge myself before and while operating. The reason
for the ESD susceptibility of the K3 and K2 is flawed shielding design and
(apparently) lack of ESD mitigation in the circuitry/layout.

Jerry  AI6L