Hi Brian,

This came up and was discussed on Nov. 15, 2009 with a thread titled
"K3 Firmware Req for SWL band and Using Memories"  Search for that
thread in the archives to read all the gory details.

The key information that's missing from the documentation is the band
edges.  I determined them experimentally to be:

160m  0.5 -  2.999999 MHz
  80m  3.0 -  4.799999 MHz
  60m  4.8 -  5.999999 MHz
  40m  6.0 -  8.999999 MHz
  30m  9.0 - 12.999999 MHz
  20m 13.0 - 16.999999 MHz
  17m 17.0 - 18.999999 MHz
  15m 19.0 - 22.999999 MHz
  12m 23.0 - 25.999999 MHz
  10m 26.0 - 30.000000 MHz
   6m 44.0 - 54.000000 MHz

To answer your specific questions:

> Suppose one wants 9 MHz.  Does one
> set the band to 30M and just tune down to it?

You can, but I usually punch in the frequency I want, or one close to
it and tune from there.  E.g. if I wanted 9 MHz, I punch that in: FREQ
ENT > 9 > AFX (the AFX key is also the "ENTER" key).

> Does any of this confuse
> the band selection via buttons?

No.  Not as long as you keep in mind the table above.  If you're at 9
MHz, you're on the 30m band.  If you then go to 15 MHz, you've
switched to the 20m band.

> Alternatively if one sets the
> frequency with the key pad, what "band" does it appear in.

See the table above.

73
--
Joe KB8AP