Eeh you wos lucky, we had 't toggle boot strap in't PDP 11/05 in Octal on front
panel to even get Assembler!

I kid you not.
Digital PDP 11/05 with Teletype. On power up, I used to load a bootstrap
program of about 20 instructions with switches (0 or 1) on the front panel, so
it would read a machine code loader (this was a 16 bit m/c and the code was
written as a series of Octal lines, 1 per instruction, on a crib card).

Then you could run the machine code, via another short instruction, so it would
recognise the TT.
Then you could load the BASAC (yes not BASIC, but a Solatron version called
BASAC) interpreter written in Assembler into the CPU.

After that, you were cooking on gas, could load ASCII tapes of programs etc.

When was this?
Circa 1975!
73 de M0XDF
--
Dear God, Did you mean for the giraffe to look like that or was it an
accident? -Norma [Children's Letters to God, 1991]