Hi Dave,

A "via" is a small hole in the circuit board used to connect traces
from the top side of the board to the bottom. There's a small hollow
metal insert in them that connects the two sides of the board (called
"plated through vias")  They're usually smaller than a typical
component mounting hole.

If you look at the picture in the instructions, the closeup on the
right shows a via (the small hole) just to the left of R8.  In the
picture on the left hand side, it shows the little 1/8 watt resistor
with one lead going through that hole.

The little white plastic thing in the kit contains a surface mount
resistor you can use to replace R8 with if you can do SMD soldering.
If you don't have have a fine tipped soldering iron, steady hands, and
a good magnifying headset, you can use the 1/8 watt leaded resistor
instead.

The mod gives you 10 dB more signal at the IF output connector on the
KXV3.  This is useful if you want to use a panadaptor (such as the P3)
with your rig.  It won't make any difference in what you hear through
your headphones.

73
--
Joe KB8AP