On 3/5/2010 12:14 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:14:39 -0800 (PST), Julius Fazekas n2wn wrote:
>
>> The sound card output was connected to the K3 MIC MONO on the rear panel,
>
> That's your problem -- you should be driving the LINE IN of the K3, not the
> MIC IN.  Then set the K3 to MIC + LIN to use both your live mic and the
> computer playback. Follow the instructions in the K3 for setting levels. As
> K6LL has suggested, you sorta need a way to mute the mic so you can slurp. To
> do that, you need to feed the mic to the computer and let N1MM turn it on and
> off. N1MM will also switch it between radios for SO2R. If you're doing it
> that way, you set the K3 for LIN only.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim K9YC

That is precisely why I use the separate digital interface.  I built a separate
relay into my interface that disconnects the microphone when the computer is
operational sending a SSB message, and the mic is activated and the computer
message is stopped as soon as I put down the footswitch to manually operate the
mic.  I can't imagine trying to use the computer during a SSB contest or for
meteor scatter without the ability to interrupt it.  The programs I have used
for
this look for an interrupt via the serial port's DSR line.

I would think this would be possible with a flexible rig such as the K3, but
apparently it is not yet incorporated into the firmware.  I don't know if it is
on
a "firmware wish list" or not, but I think it should be.

GL and VY 73, Lance

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ (ex: WN3GPL, WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8,
E51SIX)

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME email!