Chuck,

Grounding the antenna is not as important as disconnecting the
transceiver from the feedline when no in use.
I have a relay switching arrangement for my shack which connects the
transceiver to a dummy load when no antenna is connected, and my remote
antenna relays connect unused antennas to ground (at that remote
location).  I also have spark-gap surge protectors in the shack across
each feedline.

As Tom W8JI pointed out, this may not be adequate protection, but I
figure it helps, even if just a little bit.
I think Tom is referring to lightning damage to an installation, but I
believe my precautions help protect the receiver front end from nearby
lightning induced surges.  I fully realize these measures are woefully
ineffective for a direct strike - I do have additional protection
against strong surges - all power, control circuits, telco and LAN
cabling in the hamshack come through a "grounding window" and I have
installed PolyPhaser protective devices at the place where all lines
enter the building, and I have an extensive grounding system.  I still
do not trust it - when lightning is near, I stay away from the hamshack
area.

Do some study on the subject and take whatever measures toward the ideal
solution that are practical for you.  I might add again here that *all*
ground rods must be tied to the utility ground rod with heavy wire.
That is protection for you and your equipment under elecrtical fault
conditions.

73,
Don W3FPR