Back in the 60's when I was in Wash DC VA suburbs, and pretty green
about things electrical, I had a 40m vertical that used the
boom/parasitic elements of my tribander as a counterpoise. The shield
was at DC ground from the tower.  The center conductor was straight
from the vertical.  I kept it disconnected unless in use.  When a
thunderstorm approached it would periodically kzap across the PL259,
with the frequency increasing as the storm approached, sometimes
getting to 5 or 10 kzaps per second. I put it on a panel style DC
meter once and got half scale-ish current that varied wildly and
increased as storm near, going to peg. I don't recall the sensitivity
of the meter.

The top of the vertical was at about 105 feet.  It was never struck
that I know of.  The one close strike was to blow a 15 foot mimosa
tree into toothpicks.  The tree was twenty feet from either house and
about 100 feet away from the tower.   The tower extended about a foot
and a half into dirt below 5' of concrete for the base, so it was
grounded.

Along with many other risky episodes in my teens and early twenties, I
wonder how I survived being electrocuted, smoked, crushed, burned....

73, Guy.