Hi,  Brian.  I'm not understanding this problem completely.  When you are in
CW or DATA mode and access the Filter Configuration window in the Utility,
don't you see the USB, LSB, AM and FM enable checkboxes?  And, if you tap
the MODE button on the K3 to cycle through LSB, USB, CW, AM and FM modes,
doesn't the Filter Configuration window remain the same?

Do I understand you to report that if the K3 is in CW or DATA mode when you
first invoke the Filter Configuration, then the window comes up as it
should?  But then if you close the window, change the K3 mode to AM or LSB
or USB, then try to reopen the Filter Configuration window, you get the
error message "Unable to read K3 crystal filter configuration"?

The mode that the K3 is in has nothing to do with the Utility reading the
filter configuration settings, so something else is going on to disable the
filter configuration readings when all you think you're changing is the
mode.

Ed - W0YK
Ed Muns
Muns Vineyard - www.munsvineyard.com