An off-topic question.

Most electronics these days have dual-voltage chargers.  For example, my
iPhone, my B&N Nook, and my laptop are all dual voltage.  Thus, when in a 220
volt AC location, all you need to do is plug the unit in using an adapter
common to that location (I was in Paris last week making use of these
dual-voltage characteristics so this prompted the question).

So, what is the technology of these dual-voltage chargers?  I am asking because
they are getting pretty small.  The unit for my iPhone is just a little plastic
wrapped container about 1 inch square.  My Nook charger is even smaller in that
it is only about 5/8 inch thick by 1 1/4 inch long.

Both of these units are USP interfaces so I figure 5 volts charging and I know
the Nook charger delivers a little more then the 500 mA maximum of a typical
USB.

Are these transformer plus rectifier and voltage regulator or are they some
kind of switcher, or maybe just a rectifier diode and voltage regulator.  They
do heat up so there is something there absorbing a bit of energy.

Maybe I need to cut one open but I am not wanting to do that if I can get the
answer here.

Thanks,
73, phil, K7PEH