Thanks for the fast reply Don.

Actually, I did expect it to automatically retune when it finds an SWR
higher than some specified amount. That is how every internal tuner I have
every used worked. Thats how my backup radio works and its a good thing I
have it as I have had quite a bit of down time waiting for new KAT3 boards.
Elecraft support is very good about sending them out but it takes 2 weeks to
get to me.

Unfortunately, although I suspected something was amiss, it was not until
recently that I discovered it was not really automatic (by my definition). I
agree that a normal person might have keyed in on it sooner.

Since 99% of my operating is in contests, I am not used to spending a lot of
time pondering various settings on my rig before each transmission. The more
"set and forget" the better I like it.

The problem with automatic selection of memorized settings is it stops being
useful when you change to an  antenna that has different charactaristics. Or
you turn on an amplifier that presents a different load than your antenna.
In these cases your memory settings are all working against you.

If I always used the same set of antennas and always did or did not use an
amplifier I would not be having these problems. At least now I know that to
be safe I need to press that button before every transmission after an
antenna or power level change. I have a hard time accepting that as
automatic but it may well depend on an individual's definition of the word.

I would prefer to have my tuner ensure that my finals are not seeing a high
SWR.

(K4... and K8.. please do not flame me. You know who you are.)

73,

-Robby
VY2SS