Gary, you are entirely correct.

There is ONE exception - that the anti-static mat is common to
everything.  If one is standing on an anti-static mat that is connected
to the anti-static mat on the workbench, which is in turn connected to
the wrist strap, and that is also connected to every piece of equipment
on the workbench, then yes, everything would be at the same potential.

HOWEVER - that is just not practical.

Much equipment at the workbench is grounded to the AC mains green wire
ground, and that is where your anti-static mat should be connected as
well, it just makes things easier all around.  Any other method would
take a complete safety inspection of everything within reach of the work
position, and unless you are a professional trained in such matters,
there will likely be something that you overlooked.  BE SAFE and connect
to the AC mains green wire ground - it is the easiest method, I just
don't understand why so many seem to search for alternatives that are
unsafe.

73,
Don W3FPR