I have a K1, K2, K3 and TS-480SAT. I always use the internal keyers in
them and find no issues with the way they key, Elecraft and Kenwood
internal keyers seem very similar to me. I use Iambic B with a weight of
1 (from the K3 menu in front of me). The only radios that I've had an
issue with were the FT-857D which lacks a decent internal keyer and a
TS-570 which had a keyer timing issue - Kenwood knew about the 570
keying issue for some time prior to mine being manufactured but still
produced defective radios needing a return to the importer to have it
updated...

I use a Palm Mini paddle for portable operating and used their Code Cube
keyer with the FT-857D, however the Code Cube is not used, or needed,
with my current Elecraft or TS-480 radios.

73 Dave, G4AON

<SNIP>
Is this just a matter of different operators having different keyer
preferences, or is there something unusual about the Kenwood internal
keyer?

Al N1AL