John,
There is nothing special about the adapter Elecraft sells. It may be
convenient to do one-stop shopping. The most widely "approved" adapters
(judging by comments here and on some other discussions) use the FTDI
chipset. I have adapters from at least 2 manufacturers and they both
work flawlessly. Where you may run onto trouble is if you use them to
connect to an FSK RTTY interface. Not a problem with th K3, cuz of AFSK
is so easy to hook up.

No adapter has a pre-assigned port number. Windows assigns those, and
you can change it (in Control Panel) to anyone you like.
If you're using Windows XP and above, you probably won't even have to
load a driver. YMMV.

To any software looking at the port, it's just a serial port. You tell
the software what port to use. Note that if you un-plug the adapter and
plug it back in later, the com port number MAY change.

Yes, it can be used for CAT control.

73, Mike NF4L