Chris,

I have not tried it, but Ham Radio Deluxe has a 'remote' mode that can
be used to provide control of the radio, and Skype (or similar) can
provide the audio path.  Of course, a computer is required at each end.
There are likely other radio control applications that can provide
remote radio control, but I am most familiar with HRD.

So the answer is YES - but the devil is in the details.  The software
configuration is your challenge to set-up.  HRD has pretty good
documentation, and Simon is usually responsive to questions in case of
difficulty.

For more direct access to the K3 from a remote location (such as loading
new firmware, adding macros, and other things that K3 Utility can do), I
would suggest that you use one of the VNC applications - I particularly
like UltraVNC available from www.sourceforge.net.  The latency involved
with using UltraVNC to control the K3 (by operating the computer at the
K3 site) may make that unusable for actual on-the-air operating time,
but is handy for remotely controlling the software applications on the
computer located at the K3 site - for instance, one can use UltraVNC to
log onto the computer and launch applications such as HRD and Skype (or
most anything else).  If one wants to get fancy, you can even shut down
the K3 using the Power off command through the serial communications
port, and then shut down the computer too.  The computer can be set up
for Wake On LAN, and the K3 powered on by a device that brings the K3
ACC Remote Power On pin low (that part takes some external hardware).
The possibilities are endless - whatever you can do from a computer
local to the K3 can also be done remotely from anywhere on the globe.

73,
Don W3FPR