Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 07:50:22 -0400
From: "Tom W8JI" <w...@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Keying Up For A Split Second When Power
        Button  IsPushed
To: "-.-.  --.-N3TU -.-.  --.-" <connectme...@hotmail.com>,
        <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>

<<<Is it normal for the K3 to key up right away for a split
second when turned
on. I have a Drake L4B with a soft key behind the radio. If
by accident the
amp is out of the  stand-by mode and you turn on the K3, it
will key the amp
for a split second. Is this normal? Don't get me wrong, I
try to put it in
standby but every now and then I'll forget. >>>

That's normal behavior for the K3.

I don't like it either, but a properly designed step-start
should still be OK with just the quiescent current of the PA
tubes so long as RF is not applied. The only problem would
come in when the step-start and the radio both have issues.
If the step-start isn't planned well, and blows a fuse or a
resistor when starting under quiescent current loads, then
the radio doing closing the relay line at power-on  becomes
a problem.

As a suggestion you could easily build a time-delay start up
for the amp, which it should have if simply closing the
relay control line at amplifier power-on causes damage.
You'd have to add a small relay and wire it in series with
the relay control jack.

My amplifiers start just fine at quiescent loads, so I don't
worry (although what you observe annoys me too and I can see
where it could cause step-start damage in some systems).

73, Tom