I have a similar issue  with my K3 VL-1000 combination the amp would key
up full power then fold back slowly until it was running about 1/2 output.
No amount of reducing the mic or power settings changed this behavior
and still have the right output. Even setting drive for lower amp output
it still marched backwards something is triggering a fold back when it
is not required to. I do not see any spike on key up so I don't think it
is a
key up timing issue.

My work around is to not connect the radios ALC then engage the input
attenuator on the amp that limits the drive input to 100 watts the amp
and the K3  has been doing just fine since the born on date June 13 09,
so I have forgotten about this issue all together.
I don't use the VL-1000 all the time but when I do it works seamless
with no ALC related problems at all.

My K3 serial #3142 has the latest up date I can't remember if this issue
was there from the first time I used the amp with the ALC connected or if
it was something that started with a later update in firmware, I think
it was ok at first because I was surprised when the issue first showed up.

Regards
Art
ka9zap