I hate to revisit this topic so soon after the long thread died down,
but this is hopefully useful for linux users.  The kernel documentation
states that the Edegport usb/serial port boxes are supported, but I
noticed the new ones are pricey!  Being too cheap for that, I bought a
used Edgeport/4 converter on ebay (< $30 w/shipping) & just got it
yesterday.

I configured the linux kernel for it ahead of time, plugged it into the
laptop usb and 4 new serial ports popped up as /dev/ttyUSB[0-3]!  There
are 3 rigs on my desk, each needing a serial port, as well as a little
line level amplifier circuit in an Altoids tin to run cw contests via
the computer.  All four connections run fine so it was money well spent.
 The box is about 4" x 7" x 1" - hardly bigger than an index card - so
takes up little room & is powered by usb itself.

Hopefully the info is useful.  73,
Mike ab3ap