On Jan 20, 2010, at 11:47 PM, Richard S. Lindzen wrote:

> Dear Don,
>
> This leaves me a bit concerned.  I am planning to put up a K9AY
> receiving antenna in my backyard and it is supposed to be connected
> to a ground rod.  I had never seen it suggested that this must be
> connected to the utility ground stake.  I'm not even sure where the
> utility ground stake is.  I've never noticed one though I will ask my
> electrician.  If there is one, it is likely to be pretty far from the K9AY.

For the K9AY, your best bet is to make sure the antenna ground and the coax
ground are completely isolated. I do this by magnetically coupling the coax
with a 9:1 transformer. Otherwise, common-mode noise can move out the shield
and be picked up by the antenna.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa...@arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901