On Mar 18, 2010, at 9:44 AM, lstavenhagen wrote:

> Reason I ask is I decided to revisit my filter alignment (partly for an
> educational exercise to learn how this all works) and after fighting with a
> spectrum analyzer (iSpectrum on the mac, which just got me way off each
> time) I abandoned ship and tried this method. I was all set to put
> Spectrogram on my work machine and use that instead to try again but this
> seems to work far better.

iSpectrum should work just as well as Spectrogram. Using the CocoaModem Config
window works well, too. There is quite a bit of eye-balling to the filter
setting. Of course, if you don't pay attention, you may find yourself on the
wrong side of the passband.

The final step that I put into my filter calibration is to use my ears and
cycle between opposite sidebands (using CW REV) and make sure the settings
sound reasonable with each other, and they look good on the spectrum display.
If one of them sounds off, I'll jog the BFO frequency one tick one way or the
other and cycle through again. Doing it this way, I'm managed to get the
filters within 20 Hz or so of each other.

I've got a blog entry that has a bit more information on how I set up my
filters:
http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com/2010/02/configuring-elecraft-k2-crystal-filters.html

I don't use the variable bandwidth filter much more than 1 kHz wide, because it
starts to get asymmetric and makes for pretty harsh listening. I use the OP1
filter on SSB and use the DSP for high-QRM situations like in contests. (Of
course, I'm using KI6WX's "1.9" SSB filter, which is about 2 kHz wide, but has
less ripple than the original KSB2 2.0 kHz filter)

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa...@arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
           -- Wilbur Wright, 1901