Guess it depends on operations and locations, but I see the KPA-500 meeting
some broad operating needs.

I frequently operate portable, for contests, and enjoy a power boost above
exciter level power.
I've looked at the somewhat portable ACOM 1010, but it lacks 6 meter coverage
and full break-in.

Tokyo High Power?  Similar band coverage and QSK issues; can be a little more
portable.

The Ameritron (MFJ) solid state amp?  Again 6 meters and QSK are lacking.
Also, I've had too many QC issues with that company's products.  YMMV.

So, the '500 appears to offer a very compact (K3 size, 22 lb.) package, full
160-6 meter coverage and QSK--all with internal power supply.  Sounds like a
traveler's delight to me as well as being a medium-power level amp for home
use.

What's not to like?  I hear wishes for a built-in antenna tuner.  For some
people that's a need, for others a non-issue.  When I use a tuner it's a
Johnson matchbox with ladder line into the shack.  If I'm using a coax-fed
antenna, I will work it, and work it, work it some more till it is resonant and
no tuner is necessary.  That's me.

Is 500 watts not enough?  For the rarest of the rare DX, for top-ten contest
results, maybe not.  But it is a better-than-5 dB improvement from exciter
level.  There were recently expressed wishes from some on this reflector for a
150~200 watt PA.  Here's an amp that, with reduced drive, gives that
sought-after power output level.  The 500 watt power level is also compatible
with the power limits in many European countries.

Do I like what I see so far?  Yes.

73, Blair K3YD