> set the power control to the proper drive, and forget the ALC?  ALC
> doesn't fix leading spikes anyway, so what's it good for?

Arguably, ALC helps to function as a time-averaging RF level control that
can protect against ongoing over-drive but not necessarily peak power busts.
What I don't like about traditional ALC are the unknown side-effects (e.g.,
non-linearity) that can occur as a result of level-setting and timing
differences between the transmitter and amp.  Dynamic monitoring for amp SSB
non-linearity can be accomplished with reasonably good accuracy using a
scope in trapezoid mode.   However, once transceivers began introducing
delay as result of DSP, it's become nearly impossible to use the trapezoid
method to look at system linearity of both the transceiver and amp, and the
corresponding ALC effect.   Other methods for measurement are probably
beyond the cost and effort at most stations.

Since the input Z of most solid-state amps is well-controlled at 50-ohms,
that the input Z should not appreciably change as output Z changes, then
can't we simply use a feed-forward ALC system instead of feedback ALC?   A
fast RF voltage peak detector can be bridged across the amp's input Z.  When
the RF voltage exceeds ~ 70.7Vpk, correction bias is applied to the
solid-state PA. Simultaneously, a 3dB pad could then be inserted at the amp
input until average input power drops below 50W.   With the exception of the
pad, the SPE amp works like this -- only it has a fault summing network that
looks at half a dozen other parameters, all of which instantly apply MOSFET
bias through the summing network to cut-off RF, and place the amp in bypass
when any one of the non-ALC faults occur.

Paul, W9AC